Friday, July 30, 2010

Addictions

We all have things we don't want to give up.

We all have our addictions, loves, desires, wants and needs.

Some can be bad, some can be good. Some can be here nor there.


Every night when I get one of my girls out of the bath she says the same thing

"Hold me like a baby in the mirror" (said really fast) Holdmelikeababyintthemirror

Now most people will have NO IDEA what this means.

What it means is that I wrap her in the towel. Scoop her sideways up into my arms (like holding a newborn baby) and carry her over to the mirror so she can look at herself in my arms.

IT DRIVES ME CRAZY.

Especially when I know she can get out of the bath  fine on her own and grab her own towel.

However when I analyze it, its a desire to be close to her mum. A desire to go back to how things used to be. A desire to 'be the baby of the house' again. A desire to look at herself in the mirror (which is high and she doesn't get to see often) A desire to have her mothers full attention.

How can I deny one this pleasure?


I have another daughter who loves to be sung to sleep. I am the worlds worst singer.  She will ask no matter the time of night she goes to bed. Early or Late. If we are out or not.

IT DRIVES ME CRAZY

Especially since I know she can fall to sleep without it. She often does fall asleep 'waiting' for me to come. (he he) Sometimes I just don't want to. I'm tired its the end of the day.

How can I deny one this pleasure?


Little things we cling on to can be hard to let go sometimes.

Sometimes we cling to the silliest things. Tiny things that don't really matter.

Why does my 4 year old say "holdmelikeababyinthemirror"?

Does it matter? Does it not matter?

Time will tell.


For the time being (well half the time) I'll give in.

One day they won't need me at all.




*no picture today - my comps broken - blogging from the Mr's laptop - waiting forIT guy to come home and fix all my problems :)

5 comments:

INVITEDbyRUKxo said...

Would you believe my daughter asks for the same thing??! "lemmmebeyourbabymum" and we have to go look in the mirror too LOL.... AND my son CAN NOT sleep without his mummy's horrible voice singing him off to sleep. BOTH drive me crazy when I'm tired and it's the end of the day... but I'm with you, they will grown out of it so soon and I'm sure I'll be sad the day they stop asking for it.

lissyal said...

We do the baby swaddling in the towel thing too, and the kids loved watching the moment in the mirror too! It seems a common practise! Spencer also gets really possessive of his baby clothes when ever he see's them. He wants to put them on and "be a baby, mum!" In some ways i want him to be a baby again to o(only in SOME ways).

One day when we're reminiscing and talking about the "good ol day" it will be these days we're referring to.

btw great seeing you today! was really nice to laugh and be in your awesome company!

abbie said...

That moment before pajamas, smelling clean and wrapped in a soft towel, is my favorite moment of the day! My oldest daughter HATES when I pick her up like a baby in her towel.
So funny that its an addiction for your kids and an addiction for ME!

The ComberNation said...

"One day they won't need me"!!!!!! Make no mistake they will always need their mum even though, at times, it will not seem so. Even adults children need their Mum's full attention every now and again. Always they need still to be "swaddled". Make the most of the time you have now while they can tell you without any worries of what you might think.
I miss my Mum. She has been gone for 12 years now. xxxxx

The ComberNation said...

"One day they won't need me"!!!!!! Make no mistake they will always need their mum even though, at times, it will not seem so. Even adults children need their Mum's full attention every now and again. Always they need still to be "swaddled". Make the most of the time you have now while they can tell you without any worries of what you might think.
I miss my Mum. She has been gone for 12 years now. xxxxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...